Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Rescue From Tangles

I am posting this again, to share with a new audience (Original post was Oct. 16, 2008 via my notes on FB)

 Rescue From Tangles

I had an "aha!" moment first thing this morning.  It really made me think.
Early this morning, I hooked the dog out on her tie out so she could go potty.  I was so sleepy, I decided to go back in the house, and wait for her to bark to be let back in.  Well, she just sat by the door, and wouldn't go so, I went back outside, and then she began doing her normal routine, and started sniffing around, and smelling everything. I guess she just wanted an audience.  Well, as I was slowly waking up, thanks in part to the brisk cool air, I am watching her weave in and out of the kids toys laying on the patio.  So, I encouraged her to get away from there, and moved the toys that she was getting tangled in out of her way.  Then she immediately goes and wraps herself up around something else, so I moved that out of her way too.  I am talking to her, telling her how silly she is, and that she just needs to "go", so I can wake up properly with a mug of coffee in my hand (as if she could understand).

Well, after wrapping herself around everything possible I began to get annoyed..."why are you so stupid dog?".  Ugh! I mean really?  I just moved everything our of her way, and yet she keeps finding more things to get tangled in.  I just sat back and looked at her, looking at me, and now barking for me to come rescue her. 

You see, a few months ago she had a shorter tie out that broke, so hubby replaced it with this one that is like 4 times as long.  It was rare for her to get tangled before, because she couldn't reach many things.  But now, she can reach EVERYTHING, and manages to walk proudly to everything in reach, and get herself tangled around it.  We went from a 10ft lead attached to the clothes line, to a 40ft lead.  So yeah, it is way too long!

Well, all this made me think.  This is like so many other relationships.  It is like a parent and child.  You give your child room to grow, and make choices, and then get irritated when they don't make the choice you think they should make...then they get tangled, and call out for you to rescue them.  But it really made me think of my relationship with GOD.  HE gives me free will to make my own choices, and stands by and watches my successes, and failures. HE is there for me when I need to be untangled, and lovingly guides me in the direction  I need to go.  Now, if I choose to continue to wrap myself around the wrong things over and over again, does HE get annoyed like I did?  Does HE shake his head, wondering when I am going to learn?  Does he wonder if HE should shorten the leash?  I get tangled and I cry  out to HIM...and HE rescues me.

It was just a picture book moment, where I thought hmmm...if I am this annoyed for one morning, how must GOD feel when we repeat  the same choices over and over again through out our lives?  We decide to lengthen our leash from GOD, feeling that we can handle things, then when we get all wrapped up, we cry out for HIM to take care of us...and sometimes even blame HIM for our mistakes..like, "why did you leave me alone? whey did you let me go so far?".  Well, I am hoping that my dog will learn from her mistakes, and maybe  I will be shortening her lead.  I hope we can all learn to be gently guided, and have an minimal amount of tangles along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment